Changing the oil on your rotary screw air compressor is important for the life of the machine and can avoid large repair costs. On top of checking it regularly to ensure it’s topped off, you should change it at regular intervals. The length of this interval depends on the type of oil being used in your machine.
Rotary Screw Air Compressor or Rotary Vane Air Compressor**
- Standard Oil every 8000 hrs or 12 months
- Food Grade Oil every 2000 hrs or 3 months
If You Don’t Change Your Oil as Above a Few Things Can Happen to Your Compressor:
- Buildup of moisture/condensation in the oil leading to internal rusting which can cause premature failure of bearings, valves, and filtration
- The oil can break down and cause premature failure. Oil breaks down is when the molecules of oil begin to break apart and byproducts are released. These byproducts can be harmful to the compressor, or whatever it touches. Also, as the oil breaks down, its ability to lubricate and cool the machine is greatly reduced which can lead to failure.
- Oil can also become contaminated with dirt and dust over time. If it is not replaced in a timely manner, these contaminants can cause premature wear to internal components of the air end assembly. This wear will eventually lead to machine failure and potential production downtime.
- Void manufacturer warranty
**The above recommendations are suggested industry standard guidelines. These should not be used in place of the manufacturer’s specifications.